Monday, June 5, 2023

2023 May/June Section Hike - Day 5 - NOBO FS293 to Dennis Cove Rd

 Miles Hiked 11.1

Day of Hike 6-2-23

Shuttle from Boots Off to FS293 and then hiked NOBO to Dennis Cove Rd where my car was waiting


Right at drop off we ran into two hikers. One had the trail name "Bling" and gave us each a metal AT medallion. Really cool, added it to my keychain. Thanks Bling.  

Hardcore Cascades, named after the Hardcore Trail Crew led by Bob Peoples who runs the Kincora Hiking Hostel. He's a trail legend, and I hear a very nice guy too.  You can see my AT Bling hanging below my water bottle. 

Sherpa was not interested in repeating yesterday's water shortage, so he popped down the blue blaze trail and filled our bottles even though I thought we might have enough to finish the day. 

We made great time, various ups and downs, but we flew down the trail. Near the end of our day we came upon this old cabin. 


There's the road...my car is parked on that road. We've made it! 


62 Miles Hiked, our hike is done. Sherpa was a great hiking companion. I think he might be hooked. This was not a particularly exciting portion of trail, but the weather was decent, and it was just great to be out in the woods. I was also relieved that my knees survived the trip. A bit sore, but I don't think I did any damage. This was my first hike in a long time, good to be back on the trail. 

I had not added up my total mileage recently, so as of the end of this trip. I have 1362 miles complete, which leaves a bit more than 800 miles left to go.  

  Still Left to complete: 
        FS293 to Erwin is about 63 miles, that will make a great section hike for a future trip
I still need to do Partnership Shelter to around Daleville, VA, and 
Bennington, VT to Katahdin. (Greens, Whites and Maine).  



Sherpa and I drove down the road to a campground, bought cold drinks and soaked our feet until they were numb in this freezing cold stream. After that, the long drive home.  Good trip, thanks for joining me Sherpa, we'll have to do it again some time. 












1 comment:

  1. I hope you and Sherpa do this again soon! I'm sure the VT area will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete