Sunday, June 4, 2023

2021 Aug Section Hike Day 4- Campsite above Matt's Creek Shelter to Thunder Hill Shelter

Miles Hiked: 11.9
Date Hiked: 8-25-21


We broke camp early to try to beat the heat. Didn't work. We ran out of water and trudged up a climb hoping the next spring would be flowing. 


Pretty tame deer, we walked up rather close. 

Hiking in Central VA in July. Sweat, heat...climbs. This was not a fun day. 


Thankfully, it was flowing well, in a shady spot and cold. We sucked down lots of water, ate a snack and recovered. 


My zpacks Nero can carry a surprising amount of water. 2L bags in each side pocket, plus whatever I stick on the front and back. I have a pocket on the right that holds a 1L Smartwater bottle and a smaller pocket for a 16-20 soda bottle on the left.  The next shelter has a spring, but comments on my trail app make it sound like it may not have water. So I carried as much as I could. Yay..more weight for the climbs. 

Avocado taking a break at the spring to recover before continuing the climb. Tough day in the heat. 


Still Climbing

We made it to an overlook with a big rainstorm threatening in the distance. Ended up getting rained on a bit, but it was so hot there was no point in getting out the rain jackets. 

A forest service employee stopped by so we asked him to get our picture on the overlook. 


We made it to the shelter, finally. Shortly after arriving the hostel owner we had called to pick us up tomorrow  hiked in with some water and cold treat for us. Incredible. Especially helpful since the spring was dry at this shelter. 


Muscle spasm...my fingers were stuck like this for a bit. I usually get some kind of muscle cramps on day 2-3 of these hikes, first time it was in my hand. Normally in my legs or belly. 


The shelter had a bear box, which made things much easier. No finding the perfect limb and hanging our food, just chuck it in the box. Love these things...really a great convenience when in bear country. 
 

I climbed in my hammock early to escape the bugs and to hopefully cool off. Hot, sweaty, dirty and ready to be done with this hike. 




























No comments:

Post a Comment